Subject: RE: Get Rom Fonts (fwd)
From: "PRL6A::UKRBAKE"@prl.philips.co.uk ([email-masked])
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1993 17:31:47 GMT

:> >different fonts: topaz 8 & 9.If i use instructions like these:
:> >   Get Rom Fonts
:> >   Set Font 1 (or 2)
:> >Can i be sure to obtain the same font (topaz 8 or 9) and every amiga?
:> >If not, how can i do this?
:> 
:> Pretty easy to do.  I'm not sure about it changing for fonts 1 and 2, but the 
:> disc ones will, and once you have loaded the disc ones into memory, they 
:appear 
:> as rom fonts (well, they do on my 500P).  So, just get a routine that 
:searches 
:> through the information strings to find a font by name + point size.  This is 
:> what I do, it works very well.  (can't remember the details, but it's all in 
:the 
:> manual, and is very easy to do.)
:
:But getting disc fonts is _slow_. The "LDos" extension lets you load directly 
:from
:disc the font you want. "Get disc fonts" when your fonts:-directory has a 
:couple of
:hundred fonts is a pain.

Yeah? Did I say it was a _quick_ method??  I said it was _easy_ and he was only 
talking about ROM fonts here, without getting into speed or extensions.  
However, having griped about that, what the hell is LDos then, I have never 
heard of it (that reminds me, does anyone have a list of extensions?)  

You should bear in mind that with a couple of hundred files in a directory, 
getting a listing using anything will be slow (due to crappy file system on 
amigas.. where's my FAT???).

Right, that's that sorted, then!
Mark Baker